Sunday, January 5, 2014

New-Year's Poetry Challenge

Fellow poet Jaha Zainabu wrote a poem a day, every day last year. This year she's focusing on a different form of poem every month. For January, the challenge is a haiku a day. She asked if anyone wanted to join her in this venture, and today I finally got on board. I love a good haiku; I have a bunch of them in random files (and some here in my blog from April 2010) that I was initially saving to do a book of haiku. After thinking about it, I wasn't sure I wanted to do a whole book of them, so I decided to use them in my upcoming poetry book My Sentiments Exactly. Since I just joined, I had to conjure up five all at once so I could catch up. So, here they are. I'll post the rest daily.

TURBULENCE

Loving you was like
a thrilling roller coaster
ride that left me sick.


INTERNAL BATTLEFIELD

When you open your
mouth to speak, it's like a war

resides in your tongue.

GIDDY

When you stand near me
my heart jumps around like it's
playing Double Dutch.


NO DRINK FOR THAT

Alcohol won't cure
the virus that's making your
self-esteem its bitch.


YOU FIRST

You should probably
grow your own spine before you
try to have MY back.


And an extra one to stay ahead of the game:

LOVE THERAPY

Let me massage your
heart free of the knots other
women tied it in.

Copyright 2014
Charlene E. Green


Thanks for reading! Please continue to support my work by viewing my tour campaign, contributing to my cause, and sharing the campaign link with your networks! https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/ecUob/ab/0255N5 Thank you in advance! 

    

No comments: