Friday, April 11, 2014

NAPOWRIMO 6/30: TEETH

I've been using my teeth
to do more than eat
for a long time.

Truth is
I do bite.
I've been known to
escape from behind
my gate of civility
sink my fangs
into people's feelings
and leave more
than flesh wounds.

I've hurt many
with my
Quick Draw McGraw tongue.
Used to blast folks
without thinking
caring
cuz I felt like saying
what I wanted
and if you
had a problem with it ...
So.
What.

Used to say things
to vex people on purpose.
Sometimes ...
it was an accident.
I spoke when my emotions
were raw.
Made people cry.

A family member
disowned me for four years
after I ripped out
her jugular.

Came unhinged
in my mother's peaceful home
right in front of her
when I released all
of my unfiltered Leo
on an ex-boyfriend
and let the savage lion
living in the back of my throat
mangle his face
through the phone

Scared her speechless.

She had never seen
a tornado
until that day
when it whirled
from my lips
for five minutes
and blew her roof off.

She tried to stifle my storm
but was too verklempt
to fully interrupt me.

I was sorry I scared her.
Not sorry I pummeled him.
Still not sorry.

Those are the consequences
if you trample
on my boundaries
and my wrath
isn't properly contained.

These days
I'm wiser
more tactful
compassionate.
I reassess
the toxins
I wanna release
before they abscond from me
and ruminate on
the potential outcome
of my onslaught.

Then
I call on my teeth.

Thank goodness for my teeth.

They're my
referees
padlocks
prison bars.

When my tongue
goes all slip 'n' slide
and mean-girl words
pull out their shanks
climb aboard
and begin their descent
my teeth
are my saving grace.

I grind them
clench them
fake-smile
through them

anything

to trap the assailment
in my mouth
keep the words from
falling to my regret

and the death
of people's esteem.

Copyright 2014
Charlene E. Green

No comments: