Wednesday, February 5, 2014

AGAINST ALL ODDS

Next month will mark 11 years since I moved to L.A. from the Bay Area. When I arrived, I had a movie script, a half-written novel (One Man's Treasure), and the dream to be a successful writer. Yesterday, I published for the 13th time (books). When I look back at this journey, I'm amazed at all I've done and been through to get to this point. I didn't even start publishing until 2007 because I spent the first 4 years here stuck at my 9-5, dying a horrifically slow, painful spiritual death. I chose to resign at the end of 2006 to save my mental and physical health (NO joke), and so I could properly nurture my life's mission as a writer. But between the day I set foot here, and now, I've encountered more challenges than in my entire life. I had two major surgeries 3 years apart, one of them saving me from paralysis; I've lost all my major possessions; been homeless; endured the Universal System of Income (which means getting up every day not knowing when or from where income will appear); and stood up confidently in the face of being ignored and rejected in my career, and people's "encouragement" to get off my path and do something else because [clearly, to them] it wasn't working out. But through all of that, I have always done what I came to L.A. (and into this world) to do: write, create, and make a difference in people's lives while doing so. I can honestly, and proudly, say I've accomplished that feat, with much more to come.

A lot of what I've written over the years has derived from the lessons I've learned in the past decade. My sincere intention is for my words to teach and inspire (even my fictional novels are set up to do that). I invite you all to view and partake in what I've created. Yes, I write because I love it, but I publish for the public. My standards are very high for myself, so when I do, I take great pains to ensure that it's always my best at the time. Not all of my content makes it into the books. Thank you so much to everyone who has supported me along the way. You've confirmed that I'm doing my job properly, and well. My appreciation for you runs deep.

What I've learned the most is how serious I am about my craft. Nothing has kept me from it. Nothing. This is what doing a life mission is about. You find ways to keep it pushing, no matter what. I'm thankful for everything I've gone through and learned, because it's only solidified me in my work, not deterred me from it. I couldn't be prouder of myself.

You'll find the links to my work below.


Poetry/Motivational Speaking

Editing/Consulting

Novels

1 comment: